Pages


Love is in the air...

Sunday 8 February 2015

So, I decided to have a go at creating some Valentine themed downloads for my Etsy shop. There is some beautiful imagery out there and most of what I've used is from my favourite site The Graphics Fairy.

I started with some circles, that could either be used as cake toppers or for scrap-booking, labels, cards....wherever your imagination takes you!



I had great fun playing around with these, particularly using the pencil tool on PSE to draw around the hearts.

Next I started on some hearts...



....but couldn't leave it there and decided to create two different Valentine card designs, along with a matching envelope.  I always think there is something special about giving a card in a handmade envelope.  It just feels as though you've put more love into the giving of your card.



In fact I got so excited about envelopes that I just had to have a go at this cute little button envelope. Maybe too tiny for a card (although you could hand make one the perfect size) but you could pop a little message in there or small gift.  This one measures 8 x 11.5 cm finished size.


I just adored the image of these two doves.  Here's how I put it together:

First cut out the envelope template and the two button pieces. 


Then fold in all four edges.  You'll find that they will naturally fold in the right place but if you want to be really accurate then you could score some lines first with a bone folder or the tip of a small crochet hook.


Stick the two long edges together first.  I used double sided tape, but I was a bit clumsy where I put it!  If you look closely you can see the edge of the tape sticking out.  Then fold up the smaller bottom edge and stick.  Voila!  You have a lovely small envelope.


Next sew the buttons on.  I used a needle and sewing thread, but if you had some brads handy then they might be better.  I also found that the buttons were getting a bit crumpled as I was sewing.  Next time I would stick them onto some card first or another sheet of paper and then cut out.  I just think it would give them some extra stability.


Finally take some more thread (I used a slightly thicker one) and make a loop around the top button and tie with a knot.  Then use the length of thread to wind around the bottom button several times (as seen) to create a closure.  Can you see my very messy tape in this picture?

So there you have it, a very cute button envelope!

All resources can be downloaded from my Etsy site Alegreya.  Happy Valentine's day X

Post a Comment