Pages


More sewing....

Sunday 20 July 2014

Having not done any sewing for a while, I think I've got the bug again.  The sewing machine was still set up from making the doorstop and I decided to tackle the rather old, in need of some TLC, bean bag cube in our living room.




We've had this cube for ever and it sits in the corner of our room.  I'm not sure we even notice it any more. It's funny how sometimes you just live with stuff and one day look at it and think'why?'  Why have I never got rid of this, why haven't I done something with it, why have I never tarted it up, does it even have a purpose?  Truth be told it's quite convenient if we suddenly need an extra 'seat' in the room and the nieces and nephew seem to love it!  They drape themselves over it whilst watching the TV inches away from their face!

Anyway, poor unloved cube.  I thought it was time I tried to make it look a bit more attractive.  I found this lovely red, cream and 'mushroomy' striped fabric in the sale and bought enough to re-cover the cube and make some new cushions too (I'll tackle those another day).



I unpicked the old faux leather cube and used the pieces to make a pattern template.  I decided to re-use the zip from the bottom as well, even though it's a bit darker than it should be and in hindsight, I wouldn't bother next time.  I would have created a Velcro flap on the underneath of something similar, but it's OK and overall it looks alright.

Putting the four sides together was a doddle and so was the top square. The main thing was getting the stripes matching.  I then sewed one half of the zip on and then I had to fit the bottom square onto the other half of the zip.  A little trickier this time and not amazing close up!



Then it was just a case of fitting the old sack inside containing all the little polystyrene beans.  I was fortunate to have some spare in the house and so I cut a hole and re-filled the bag with some extra, just to plump the whole thing up and sewed the hole back up after.


And here it is in it's new incarnation.......



Definitely an improvement, I think.  Cushions next......

Post a Comment